Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Prowler (or Choosing the wrench)

Today's WOD was all about the prowler. If you have ever had the pleasure of using this piece of equipment you know it is suckage incarnate.

WOD (4 rounds):
  • prowler push (down and back)
  • 12 dead hang pull ups
  • 12 push ups
Each round you up the weight on the prowler and drop the pull ups and push ups by two reps (12/10/8/6).

A few days ago I came upon a blog post about Choosing The Wrench. It got me fired up again. Ready to kick some ass and cultivate that "other gear" - beast mode. So today I stroll in to the gym and see the WOD on the board and it's all about the prowler. In my mind I was planning on how I would just get through this WOD. I chose the belt and didn't even realize it.

After the warm up I threw 145 lbs on the prowler and did my first push. It was heavy. It sucked. I thought to myself that I'll just max out today at 180 lbs and call it a day. As I banged out my pull ups and push ups one of the trainers came over and asked how much weight I pushed on my first round. She said "great", and wrote up a plan on the white board for me.

round 1: 145 lbs
round 2: 180 lbs
round 3: 230 lbs
round 4: 270 lbs

Choose The Wrench


Before I could object, she said "because don't be a wuss". And just like that,  I chose the wrench. To be clear, that last push at 270 lbs was 110% suck, but I'll be stronger for it. Physically and mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment